Saturday, October 16, 2004

Jon Stewart is my new personal hero.

My major in college was Media Studies. It was one I created myself, and so was probably lacking, when compared to genuine media studies programs at other universities. Since graduating, I've mostly ignored everything I learned about media and spin--but Jon Stewart is making me excited about it again. He recently (yesterday) went on CNN's Crossfire and insulted the hosts to their face for not actually doing 'social work' on the show, when they have 1) the ability 2) the responsibility to do so. I encourage you to find a video file (usually via Bit Torrent) of the program, if you missed it. If you did see it, then this quote from Bill Moyer's show NOW will have all the more meaning.

I think Jon Stewart has become a man on a mission. Godspeed and best of luck.

[VIDEO CLIP]:
Stewart: But we are at war, and we here at THE DAILY SHOW will do our best to keep you informed of any late-breaking...humor we can find. Of course, our show is obviously at a disadvantage compared to the many news sources that we're competing with… at a disadvantage in several respects. For one thing, we are fake. They are not. So in terms of credibility we are, well, oddly enough, actually about even. We're about even.
[END VIDEO CLIP]

STEWART: I feel bad looking at that. I mean, I don't mean to disparage. There's tremendously talented, smart people in the news industry.

MOYERS: But I look at that, and I think there's no hope for me.

STEWART: Well, that's why I'm here today. This is really an intervention, Bill.

MOYERS: I'm ready.

STEWART: No.

MOYERS: You need a straight man?

STEWART: It's got to start. I am the straight man. That's the beautiful thing about being on my show.

And on Crossfire yesterday, he was the straight man. I don't think he was trying to be funny, or to pull a publicity stunt. I think he was genuinely trying to do Important Work.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home